Monday, December 5, 2011

No Gifts This Year

We have decided not to give each other gifts again, my husband and I. Last year I thought it was a suggestion and made the mistake of buying him a jacket that he really needed. It upset him because he hadn't gotten me anything. This year we will have clear guidelines.

We've already spoken with the kids about adopting a needy family, the same one we helped last year. They aren't poor. Mom has a job. Since last year, Dad has left the home, and so their one-income situation continues. The overwhelming majority of my students qualify for aid and will land on one Christmas list or another, but these folks won't. So, we'll help them. I've known Mom and all three kids for nearly 3 years, and we have to help them have a Christmas. It's a joy to bless others and to think about blessing them. This is a great way to prepare my heart for the arrival of Jesus.

When I give a gift this year, I want it to be worthy of the Christ Child.